Gear made for motorcycling will provide the highest levels of of comfort and impact protection.
For the best protection wear protective:
We wear all the gear all the time because you never know when your going to need it.
- Jacket & Pants - Covering the body with leather or an abrasion-resistant fabric (e.g., Cordura®, Kevlar® or ballistic nylon) provides higher levels of injury protection
- Gloves - Motorcycle gloves protect your hands and wrists from abrasion, weather, and even fatigue.
- Footwear - Over-the-ankle footwear protects feet and ankles from injury as well as providing support for balancing your motorcycle
- DOT Approved Helmet - Protect yourself from head or face injury with a DOT approved Helmet. DOT approval means the helmet has been approved for minimum levels of safety by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Eye protection - Your eyes are precious, wear shatter resistant goggles or a face shield to protect yourself from debris.
The best gear provides:
- Impact protection
DOT & Snell Approval are two key things to look for in a quality helmet
Helmets and Helmet Laws:
Missouri laws require motorcycle riders to wear helmets, auto drivers to wear seat-belts, boaters to use flotation devices, and hunters to wear bright vests. The MMSP encourages all riders to wear proper protective gear including a helmet that is compliant with U.S. D.O.T. standards.
Choosing a helmet:
- Reducing helmet roll off risk: Minimize risk of your helmet coming off in a crash by checking fit and the retention system. For more see How easily do helmets come off in a crash
- Is your helmet compliant with federal standards? Check it on this website provided by the Motorcycle Industry Council: http://helmetcheck.org
- Compliant vs. Non-compliant Helmets: To learn more about the difference between compliant and non-compliant helmet the Michigan State Patrol has provided a website that explains the differences: Click here
Look for these major things when selecting your helmet:
- Hard outer shell
- Thick inner liner
- Sturdy retention system/strap